- Published on 21 May 2015, as required by Rule 7 of the CMA Rules of Procedure for Merger, Market and Special Reference Groups. Any revisions made to the timetable will be published on this website.
|Phase 2 date||Action|
|23 October 2015||Statutory deadline|
|Mid-October 2015||Publish final report|
|Late September 2015||Final deadline for all parties’ responses/submissions|
|Early September 2015||Consider possible remedies and response hearing(s) (if required)|
|Mid to late August 2015||Notifying provisional findings and possible remedies (if required)|
|Early August 2015||Deadline for all parties’ responses/submissions required before provisional findings|
|July/August 2015||Main party hearing, verify information, consider provisional findings|
|Mid-June 2015||Publish statement of issues|
|May/June 2015||Gather information, issue questionnaires, hear third parties|
|11 May 2015||Merger reference made|
- Final report (18.9.15)
- Appendices and Glossary (18.9.15)
- Press release: CMA formally clears Poundland/99p merger (18.9.15)
25 August 2015: The CMA has provisionally cleared Poundland Group plc’s anticipated acquisition of 99p Stores Ltd.
- Provisional findings report (27.8.15)
- Appendices and Glossary (27.8.15)
- Summary of provisional findings (25.8.15)
- Notice of provisional findings (25.8.15)
- Press release: CMA provisionally clears Poundland/99p merger (25.8.15)
The publication of the evidence of any party on the CMA’s webpages does not indicate in any way endorsement by the CMA of the views expressed in the evidence or acceptance of that evidence. Publication in this way is designed to assist public understanding of the issues.
Responses to issues statement
- Poundland (3.8.15)
As part of its evidence-gathering process, the CMA is holding hearings with a range of industry customers and interested parties.
- Poundstretcher (5.8.15)
- Pepkor (30.7.15)
- TJ Morris (30.7.15)
- Morrisons (24.7.15)
- Poundworld (24.7.15)
- B&M Stores (17.7.15)
- Iceland (17.7.15)
- Savers UK (17.7.15)
- Wilko (17.7.15)
- Poundland (25.6.15) (updated 1.7.15)
25 June 2015: The issues statement sets out the scope of the investigation. It outlines initial theories on what might be adversely affecting competition, but it does not set out findings or conclusions.
- Issues statement (25.6.15)
- News story: CMA publishes issues statement in Poundland/99p merger (25.6.15)
Inquiry group appointed
Notice of suspension
- Notice of suspension (6.5.15)
Terms of reference
17 April 2015: The CMA has referred the anticipated acquisition by Poundland Group plc of 99p Stores Ltd for an in-depth phase 2 investigation.
- Terms of reference (17.4.15)
|Phase 1 date||Action|
|15 May 2015||Decision published|
|9 April 2015||Decision announced|
|10 February to 25 February 2015||Invitation to comment|
|10 February 2015||Launch of merger inquiry|
- News story: CMA confirms Poundland/99p Stores merger referral (17.4.15)
- Reference decision (15.5.15)
Reference unless undertakings accepted
The full text of the decision is available below.
- Press release: Poundland/99p Stores merger faces in-depth investigation unless suitable undertakings offered (9.4.15)
- Full text decision (15.5.15)
Launch of CMA merger inquiry
- Commencement of initial period notice (10.2.15)