The CMA reviewed the Rough undertakings placed on the North Sea gas storage facility, following a request by the operators.
Published in line with the guidance on the Competition and Markets Authority’s (CMA) approach to the variation and termination of merger monopoly and market undertakings and orders. Any revisions made to the timetable will be published on this webpage.
|December 2017||Publish final decisions|
|November 2017||Publish and consult on provisional decisions|
|October/November 2017||Evidence gathering|
|17 October 2017||Review launched and initial request for evidence|
Decision to release undertakings
13 December 2017: The CMA has decided that the relevant parties should be released from the Rough gas storage facility undertakings.
- Final decision (13.12.17)
- Notice of final decision to release undertakings (13.12.17)
- Press release: Rough gas storage facility undertakings to be removed (13.12.17)
Responses to provisional decision
- Centrica (4.12.17)
Provisional decision to release undertakings
15 November 2017: The CMA has provisionally decided that the relevant parties should be released from the Rough gas storage facility undertakings.
- Provisional decision (15.11.17)
- Notice of proposal to release undertakings (15.11.17)
- Press release: Provisional decision to remove Rough gas storage undertakings (15.11.17)
Review group appointed
17 October 2017: The CMA has appointed the group for the review of the undertakings.
Responses to decision to undertake review
- Chris Dykes International Limited (9.11.17)
- ScottishPower (9.11.17)
- Transition Energy Capital (9.11.17)
Decision to undertake review
17 October 2017: The CMA has decided to review the undertakings in relation to the completed acquisition by Centrica plc of Dynegy Storage Ltd and Dynegy Onshore Processing UK Ltd (the Rough undertakings).
In June, Centrica announced that it intended to close the gas storage facility due to the physical deterioration of the facility which has come to the end of its design life. The closure can only happen if current undertakings required by the CMA have been removed.
The review will consider whether there has been any change of circumstances such that any or all of the current undertakings should be varied or revoked.
- Decision statement (17.10.17)
- CSL request for a review of undertakings (18.10.17)
- News story: CMA reviews Rough gas storage facility undertakings (17.10.17)
Published: 17 October 2017
Updated: 13 December 2017
Opened: 17 October 2017
- Final decision published.
- Response to provisional decision published.
- Provisional decision published.
- Responses to decision to undertake review published.
- Timetable published.
- CSL's request for a review of undertakings published.
- First published.