The CMA investigated the anticipated acquisition by Celesio AG of Sainsbury’s Supermarkets Limited UK Pharmacy Business.
Statutory deadline: 8.8.16
Date of referral: 29.12.15
Remedy group appointed
On 18 October 2016, the CMA appointed the following panel group members to the Celesio Sainsbury’s remedy group:
Stephen Oram ceased to be a member of the group on 31 March 2017.
18 October 2016: The CMA has accepted undertakings from Celesio AG and Lloyds Pharmacy Limited to remedy the substantial lessening of competition identified in the final report.
Notice of proposal to accept final undertakings
- Notice of proposal to accept final undertakings (30.9.16)
- Lloyds draft final undertakings (30.9.16)
- Celesio draft final undertakings (30.9.16)
- News story: CMA consults on Celesio/Sainsbury’s merger undertakings (30.9.16)
- Notice of acceptance of interim undertakings following final report (25.8.16)
- Directions to appoint a Monitoring Trustee (25.8.16)
- Notice of acceptance of interim undertakings (5.8.16)
- Final report (PDF, 1.57 MB) (29.7.16)
- Appendices and glossary (PDF, 6.51 MB) (29.7.16)
- Summary of final report (29.7.16)
- Press release: Pharmacy merger gets conditional go-ahead (29.7.16)
29 April 2016: The CMA has provisionally found that Celesio AG’s anticipated acquisition of Sainsbury’s pharmacy business could lead to a substantial lessening of competition in 13 areas in England and Wales.
- Provisional findings report (29.4.16)
- Appendices and glossary (PDF, 5MB) (29.4.16)
- Summary of provisional findings (29.4.16)
- Notice of provisional findings (29.4.16)
- Notice of possible remedies (29.4.16)
- Press release: Pharmacy sales could resolve merger concerns (29.4.16)
The publication of the evidence of any party on the CMA’s webpages does not indicate in any way endorsement by the CMA of the views expressed in the evidence or acceptance of that evidence. Publication in this way is designed to assist public understanding of the issues.
Responses to provisional findings and notice of possible remedies
- Celesio/Sainsbury’s further submission (4.7.16)
- Celesio/Sainsbury’s response to provisional findings (15.6.16)
- Celesio/Sainsbury’s response to notice of possible remedies (20.5.16)
Responses to issues statement
- Celesio/Sainsbury’s (11.3.16)
- Celesio/Sainsbury’s (PDF, 1.2 MB) (11.3.16)
As part of its evidence-gathering process, the CMA is holding hearings with a range of industry customers and interested parties.
- Day Lewis plc (18.3.16)
- Tesco plc (10.3.16)
- University Hospitals Coventry and Warwickshire NHS Trust (10.3.16)
- ASDA Stores Limited (9.3.16)
- Boots UK Ltd (9.3.16)
- University Hospitals North Midlands NHS Trust (9.3.16)
- W R Evans (Chemist) Ltd / Manor Pharmacy Group (9.3.16)
Customer research survey: CMA commissioned research
- DJS research report into Celesio/Sainsbury’s merger (PDF, 2.14 MB) (1.3.16)
26 January 2016: The issues statement sets out the scope of the investigation. It outlines initial theories on what might be adversely affecting competition, but it does not set out findings or conclusions.
- Issues statement (26.1.16)
- Press release: CMA publishes issues statement in pharmacy merger (26.1.16)
Inquiry group appointed
5 January 2016: The CMA has appointed the inquiry group.
Disclosure of interest
Stephen Oram holds a small number of ordinary shares in GlaxoSmithKline and Shire. The CMA is satisfied that this matter will not prejudice the ability of the inquiry group to discharge its functions in an independent and impartial manner.
Terms of reference
29 December 2015: The CMA has referred the anticipated acquisition by Celesio AG of Sainsbury’s Supermarkets Limited UK Pharmacy Business.
- Terms of reference (29.12.15)
|Phase 1 dates||Action|
|28 January 2016||Decision published|
|11 December 2015||Decision announced|
|9 September to 23 September 2015||Invitation to comment|
|9 September 2015||Launch of merger inquiry|
- News story: CMA refers pharmacy merger for in-depth investigation (29.12.15)
- Reference decision (13.1.16)
Reference unless undertakings accepted
Launch of merger inquiry
9 September 2015: The CMA launched its phase 1 investigation following the European Commission’s decision to refer the case to the United Kingdom under Article 4(4) of the EC Merger Regulation.
Published: 28 January 2016
Updated: 18 October 2016
Opened: 9 September 2015
Closed: 16 October 2017
- Final undertakings published and remedy group appointments added.
- Notice of proposal to accept undertakings and draft final undertakings published.
- Timetable updated.
- Notice of acceptance of interim undertakings and directions published.
- Notice of acceptance of interim undertakings published.
- Full final report published.
- Summary of final report published.
- Response to provisional findings and notice of possible remedies published.
- Response to provisional findings published.
- Timetable updated and notice of extension published.
- Response to notice of possible remedies published.
- Full provisional findings report published.
- Summary of provisional findings and notice of possible remedies published.
- Timetable updated.
- Hearing summary published.
- Response to issues statement and initial submission published.
- Hearing summaries published.
- Hearing summaries published.
- Research survey report published.
- Full text of the decision published.