Carer's Credit

How to claim

Before you start

You don’t need to apply for Carer’s Credit if you:

  • get Carer’s Allowance - you’ll automatically get credits
  • get Child Benefit for a child under the age of 12 - you’ll automatically get credits
  • are a foster carer - you can apply for National Insurance credits instead

Apply using a form

Download the Carer’s Credit claim form.

The form includes a Care Certificate - ask a health or social care professional to sign it for you.

You can also get the form by calling the Carer’s Allowance Unit.

Carer’s Allowance Unit
Telephone: 0800 731 0297
Textphone: 0800 731 0317
Monday to Thursday, 8:30am to 5pm
Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm
Find out about call charges

Alternative formats

Call the Carer’s Allowance Unit to ask for alternative formats, such as braille, large print or audio CD.

Where to send your form

Carer's Allowance Unit
Mail Handling Site A
WV98 2AB

If you disagree with a decision

You can challenge a decision about your claim. This is called asking for mandatory reconsideration.