Replace your visa with a BRP
You can apply for a biometric residence permit (BRP) to replace the visa (or wet ink stamp) in your passport or travel document, for example if:
- your passport or travel document has expired or it’s been lost or stolen
- the details on your visa (including your facial appearance) have changed
You must apply from inside the UK.
The fee and how you apply depend on your visa status.
When you apply, you’ll be asked to make an appointment at a UK Visa and Citizenship Application Services (UKVCAS) service point to provide your biometric information (your fingerprints and a photo).
You have permission to settle (‘indefinite leave to remain’)
You must apply online if you have indefinite leave to remain. You’ll get a decision within 6 months.
You have temporary permission to stay in the UK (‘leave to remain’)
You can apply online if you have leave to remain. You’ll get a decision within 8 weeks.
If you want a faster decision you can pay £1000 for the super priority service. You’ll get a decision:
- by the end of the next working day after your UKVCAS appointment if your appointment is on a weekday
- 2 working days after your UKVCAS appointment if your appointment is at the weekend
Working days are Monday to Friday, not including bank holidays.
You’re a Commonwealth citizen and do not have the documents to prove your right to stay in the UK
You may be eligible to get a BRP under the Windrush Scheme.
Get help to apply online
You can get help with completing the online form if you:
- do not feel confident using a computer or mobile device
- do not have internet access
You can only use this service if you’re applying in the UK.
You cannot get immigration advice through this service.