Replace your visa with a BRP

You can apply for a biometric residence permit (BRP) to replace the visa (or wet ink stamp) in your passport or travel document, for example if:

  • your passport or travel document has expired or it’s been lost or stolen
  • the details on your visa (including your facial appearance) have changed

You must apply from inside the UK.

There’s a different way to prove you can live in the UK if you’re an EU citizen or related to someone from the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland.

The fee and how you apply depend on your visa status.

You have permission to settle (‘indefinite leave to remain’)

You must apply online if you have indefinite leave to remain. It costs £229.

You have temporary permission to stay in the UK (‘leave to remain’)

You can apply online if you have leave to remain. It costs £161.

You’re a Commonwealth citizen and do not have the documents to prove your right to stay in the UK

You may be eligible to get a BRP under the Windrush Scheme.

Get help using a computer to apply online

You can get help with:

  • accessing a computer or the internet
  • finding the right information on GOV.UK

You cannot get advice on:

  • whether you’re eligible to apply
  • what information to put in your application
  • an application you’ve already made

Telephone: 03333 445 675
Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm
Find out about call charges
Text: ‘VISA’ to 07537 416 944