7. Get a replacement BRP

If you’re in the UK

You must apply for a replacement biometric residence permit (BRP):

  • within 3 months if it was lost, stolen or damaged while you were in the UK
  • within 1 month if you’re returning to the UK on a ‘replacement BRP visa’

A replacement BRP costs £56.

You can be fined up to £1,000 and have your permission to stay removed if you don’t apply for a replacement in time.

How to apply

Read the guidance on applying for a replacement BRP and apply using form BRP(RC).

You can either:

  • post it with the fee (the address is on the form)
  • apply in person at a premium service centre (only if you have leave to remain or indefinite leave to remain)

You may also have to apply for a replacement BRP if your personal details have changed.

If you’re outside the UK

You can’t apply for a new BRP until you’re back in the UK. Instead you must apply for a ‘replacement BRP visa’ which you can use once to re-enter the UK. A replacement BRP visa costs £189.

You must apply online for a replacement BRP visa in most countries.

You must apply for a replacement BRP within 1 month of your return to the UK.

Cuba and North Korea

You can’t apply online if you’re applying from Cuba or North Korea.

Download the application form and read the instructions for: