You can apply to the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) to become a DVSA assessed compulsory basic training (CBT) motorcycle instructor.

CBT is a training course that most learner motorcycle and moped riders must take before riding on the road.

Rules for becoming a CBT instructor

To become a DVSA assessed CBT motorcycle instructor you must have a driving licence from either:

  • Great Britain or Northern Ireland
  • the EU or EEA - but you must register it first

You must also:

  • be 21 or older
  • have had a full category A2 or A motorcycle licence for at least 3 years
  • have passed a criminal record check

You’ll have to take a 2-day assessment at a DVSA training and development centre.

When you qualify

When you pass you must work for a motorcycle approved training body (ATB) to be able to: