You can apply to the Driving Standards Agency (DSA) to become a DSA assessed compulsory basic training (CBT) motorcycle instructor.
CBT is a training course that most learner motorcycle and moped riders must take before riding on the road.
To become a DSA assessed CBT motorcycle instructor you must:
- be 21 or older
- have a Great Britain or Northern Ireland driving licence
- have had a full category A2 or A motorcycle licence for at least 3 years
You’ll have to take a 2-day assessment at the DSA’s training and development centre in Cardington, Bedfordshire.
When you qualify
When you pass you must work for a motorcycle approved training body (ATB) to be able to:
- provide the CBT course to learner riders
- train up to 10 instructors at the ATB to also deliver CBT courses (this is known as ‘down-training’)
- apply to become a direct access scheme instructor