Apply for this licence

Start now on the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) website


Get a general movement licence from the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) if you want to move livestock in England.

You need a general movement licence to move cattle, deer, goats, pigs or sheep from one holding or premises to another.

You need a separate licence for each species you want to move.

Other documents

As well as the general movement licence, you’ll also need:


Once you have moved animals, you can’t move them again until 7 days later (21 days for pigs).

Your licence might include other restrictions and conditions.

How to apply

Download the forms from the Defra website:

There are no fees for applying for this licence.

Fines and penalties

You can lose your licence and be prosecuted if you don’t follow animal movement rules.

Help us improve GOV.UK

Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.