Extend your visa
You should include any dependants who are on your current visa on your application to extend - including children who have turned 18 during your stay.
You should apply before your current visa expires.
You can also apply to settle in the UK permanently if you’ve lived in the UK for 5 years on this visa.
How long you can stay
You can extend your visa for a further 5 years.
How much you pay depends on how you apply.
|Who you’re applying for||Apply by post||Apply in person (premium service)|
How to extend your visa
You should read the full guidance before filling in the form.
Within the UK you can:
- download the form and apply by post - the address is on the form
- download the form and use the premium service at a premium service centre
You’ll need to get a biometric residence permit as part of your application.
How long it takes
A decision will be made:
- within 8 weeks for postal applications
- usually on the same day if you use the premium service
You’ll be contacted if your application is complex and will take longer, eg:
- if your supporting documents need to be verified
- if you need to attend an interview
- because of your personal circumstances (for example if you have a criminal conviction)
Once you’ve applied you can stay in the UK until you’ve been given a decision, as long as you applied before your last visa expired.