Extend your visa
You should include any dependants who are on your current visa on your application to extend - including children who have turned 18 during your stay.
You should apply before your current visa expires.
You can also apply to settle in the UK permanently if you’ve lived in the UK for 5 years on this visa.
How long you can stay
You can extend your visa for a further 5 years.
How much you pay depends on how you apply.
|Who you’re applying for||Apply using the standard service||Apply using the premium service|
How to extend your visa
You must apply online to extend your visa.
You can book an appointment to use the premium service as part of your application.
You’ll need to get a biometric residence permit as part of your application.
Get help using a computer to apply online
You can get help with:
- accessing a computer or the internet
- finding the right information on GOV.UK
You cannot get advice on:
- whether you’re eligible to apply
- what information to put in your application
- an application you’ve already made
How long it takes
A decision will be made:
- within 8 weeks if you use the standard service
- usually on the same day if you use the premium service
You’ll be contacted if your application is complex and will take longer, for example:
- if your supporting documents need to be verified
- if you need to attend an interview
- because of your personal circumstances (for example if you have a criminal conviction)
Once you’ve applied you can stay in the UK until you’ve been given a decision, as long as you applied before your last visa expired.