You can apply for a UK Ancestry visa if all of the following are true:
- you’re a Commonwealth citizen
- you can prove one of your grandparents was born in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man
- you’re able and planning to work in the UK
- you meet the other eligibility requirements
How long it will take
The earliest you can apply is 3 months before you travel.
You should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks when you apply from outside the UK.
A UK Ancestry visa costs £516.
How long you can stay
You can stay in the UK for 5 years on this visa.
Applying to stay longer in the UK
If you’ve lived in the UK for 5 years on this visa, you may be able to either:
- apply to extend your visa for a further 5 years
- apply to settle permanently in the UK (apply for ‘indefinite leave to remain’)
What you can and cannot do
- bring your partner or child
- change (‘switch’) into this visa if you came to the UK on a different visa
- get public funds