You can apply for a UK Ancestry visa if you:
- are a Commonwealth citizen
- are applying from outside the UK
- are able to prove that one of your grandparents was born in the UK
- are able and planning to work in the UK
- meet the other eligibility requirements
How long it will take
The earliest you can apply is 3 months before you travel.
Example You can apply from 16 March if you plan to travel on 15 June.
You should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks when you apply from outside the UK.
You can check the guide processing times to find out how long getting a visa might take in your country.
Your UK Ancestry visa will cost £516.
Get a faster decision on your application
If you’re applying to extend in the UK you can pay an extra £800 for the super priority service. You’ll get a decision:
- by the end of the next working day after providing your biometric information if your appointment is on a weekday
- 2 working days after providing your biometric information if your appointment is at the weekend
Working days are Monday to Friday, not including bank holidays.
How long you can stay
You can stay in the UK for 5 years on this visa.
You can apply to extend your visa.
You can also apply to settle in the UK permanently.
What you can and cannot do
- bring family members
- change (‘switch’) into this visa if you’re already in the UK on another visa
- get public funds