You can apply for a UK Ancestry visa if you’re one of the following:
- a Commonwealth citizen
- a British overseas citizen
- a British overseas territories citizen
- a British national (overseas)
- a citizen of Zimbabwe
You must also:
- prove one of your grandparents was born in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man
- meet the other eligibility requirements
How long it will take
The earliest you can apply is 3 months before you travel.
You should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks when you apply from outside the UK.
A UK Ancestry visa costs £637.
How long you can stay
You can stay in the UK for 5 years on this visa.
Applying to stay longer in the UK
If you’ve lived in the UK for 5 years on this visa, you may be able to either:
- apply to extend your visa for a further 5 years
- apply to settle permanently in the UK (apply for ‘indefinite leave to remain’)
What you can and cannot do
With a UK Ancestry visa you can:
- bring your partner or child
Your work can be:
- paid or voluntary
- full-time or part time
- in self-employment or in a job where you’re employed by someone else
- change (‘switch’) into this visa if you came to the UK on a different visa
- get public funds