You can apply for a UK Ancestry visa if you:
- are a Commonwealth citizen
- are applying from outside the UK
- are able to prove that one of your grandparents was born in the UK
- are able and planning to work in the UK
- meet the other eligibility requirements
How long it will take
You need to apply at least 3 months before you want to come to the UK.
You should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks.
You can check the guide processing times to find out how long getting a visa might take in your country.
Your UK Ancestry visa will cost £324.
How long you can stay
You can stay in the UK for 5 years on this visa.
You can apply to extend your visa.
You can also apply to settle in the UK permanently.
What you can and can’t do
- bring family members
- change (‘switch’) into this visa if you’re already in the UK on another visa
- get public funds