Make a complaint

You can complain if you’ve been:

  • treated unprofessionally, disrespectfully or insensitively
  • discriminated against

The Victim’s Code has full details of how the police, Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) and other organisations should treat you if you’re the victim of crime.

Make your complaint to the organisation you want to complain about. For example:

The organisation must confirm they’ve received your complaint within 10 days.

If you do not agree with the decision

You can complain to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman if you do not agree with the decision about your complaint.