British Ambassador to Uruguay
The British Embassy in Uruguay maintains and develops relations between the UK and Uruguay.
We work closely with the Uruguayan government to uphold strong international institutions, reduce barriers to international trade, combat climate change and support human rights.
Find out more on our UK and Uruguay news page.
We provide services to British nationals living in and visiting Uruguay. You can access UK government services while in Uruguay.
If you’re in Uruguay and you need urgent help (for example, you’ve been attacked, arrested or someone has died), call +598 2622 3630. If you’re in the UK and worried about a British national in Uruguay, call 020 7008 1500.
Get an emergency travel document
- If the person needing the emergency travel document is under 16, a parent or guardian should apply on their behalf
- If you are due to travel in the next 24 hours, contact us as soon as possible
- If you are travelling in more than 3 weeks, check if you can get a new or replacement passport in time to travel
If you are not a British citizen or have not had a British passport before
- If you’re not sure, check if you’re a British citizen
- If you’re not a British citizen but think you may be eligible, contact us to apply for an emergency travel document.
Once you have contacted us, you will be advised to book an appointment for an emergency travel document at British Embassy Montevideo.
Other consular services
Notarial and documentary services
We may be able to offer notarial services, including making a certified copy of a document, legalisation of a document in the UK . See the full list of notarial and documentary services we provide.
We charge fees for some of our services. See the full list of consular fees in Uruguay.
Deputy Head of Mission, British Embassy Montevideo
British Embassy Montevideo, main contact
Marco Bruto 1073
Switchboard (598) 2622 3630 or 2622 3650
Fax (598) 2622 7815
Monday – Friday:
08:30 – 14:30
February - December
Monday to Thursday:
09:00 - 13:00 and 14:00 - 17:30
09:00 - 14:00
British Council (Organisation specialising in international educational and cultural opportunities including Plan Ceibal)