The British Consulate General in New York maintains and develops relations between the UK and the USA.

Our services involve handling a wide range of political, commercial, cultural, security and economic interests to the UK and our region.

Find out more on our USA and the UK news page

We provide services to British nationals living in and visiting New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Fairfield County in Connecticut.

You can access UK government services while in the USA.

Urgent assistance

If you’re in New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania or Fairfield County in Connecticut and you need urgent help (for example, you’ve been attacked, arrested or someone has died), call +1 212 745 0200. If you’re in the UK and worried about a British national in the USA, call 020 7008 1500.

Get an emergency travel document

You can apply for an emergency travel document if you’re abroad and your passport has been lost or stolen, damaged or expired, and you can’t get a new or replacement passport in time to travel.

Apply online for an emergency travel document

If the person needing the emergency travel document is under 16, a parent or guardian should apply on their behalf.

If you are travelling in more than 3 weeks, check if you can get a new or replacement passport in time to travel.

If you are not a British citizen or have not had a British passport before

If you’re not sure, check if you’re a British citizen

If you’re not a British citizen but think you may be eligible, contact us to apply for an emergency travel document.

Other consular services

Notarial and documentary services

See the full list of notarial and documentary services we provide.

Consular fees

We charge fees for some of our services. See the full list of consular fees in the USA.

We also provide services in:

Our people

Contact us

British Consulate General New York

1 Dag Hammarskjold Plaza,
885 Second Avenue

New York City NY 10017-6927

Use our contact form for consular enquiries:

Access and opening times

Press enquiries

Our press and public affairs officers answer media enquiries about the UK government and the work of the British Consulate General New York.

Access and opening times

Passport enquiries

Service not offered in New York.
Her Majesty's Passport Office is the sole issuer of British passports and handles all enquiries relating to passport enquiries.

Access and opening times