How to claim

Working Tax Credit has been replaced by Universal Credit for most people.

You can only make a new claim for Working Tax Credit if you:

  • get the severe disability premium, or are entitled to it
  • got or were entitled to the severe disability premium in the last month, and you’re still eligible for it

If you cannot make a new claim for Working Tax Credit, you may be able to apply for Universal Credit (or Pension Credit if you and your partner are State Pension age or over).

Start a claim

Call HM Revenue and Customs to make a new claim for Working Tax Credit. It can take up to 5 weeks to process a new claim.

You can claim after starting a new job, at any time of the year.

If you’re on benefits (for example Jobseeker’s Allowance or Income Support), you can usually start claiming 7 days before you start a new job.

You’ll be asked for some information and given an estimate of how much you’ll get. You may be asked for:

  • your National Insurance number (if you have one)
  • your income for the last tax year
  • details of any benefits you get
  • details of any childcare payments
  • the number of hours you work per week

HM Revenue and Customs
Telephone: 0345 300 3900
Textphone: 0345 300 3909
Outside UK: +44 2890 538 192
Monday to Saturday, 8am to 8pm
Find out about call charges