How to claim
Working Tax Credit has been replaced by Universal Credit for most people.
You can only make a new claim for Working Tax Credit if you:
- get the severe disability premium, or are entitled to it
- got or were entitled to the severe disability premium in the last month, and you’re still eligible for it
Start a claim
Call HM Revenue and Customs to make a new claim for Working Tax Credit. It can take up to 5 weeks to process a new claim.
You can claim after starting a new job, at any time of the year.
If you’re on benefits (for example Jobseeker’s Allowance or Income Support), you can usually start claiming 7 days before you start a new job.
You’ll be asked for some information and given an estimate of how much you’ll get. You may be asked for:
- your National Insurance number (if you have one)
- your income for the last tax year
- details of any benefits you get
- details of any childcare payments
- the number of hours you work per week
HM Revenue and Customs
Telephone: 0345 300 3900
Textphone: 0345 300 3909
Outside UK: +44 2890 538 192
Monday to Saturday, 8am to 8pm
Find out about call charges