Working after State Pension age

You can keep working past your State Pension age.

You can usually work for as long as you want to. ‘Default retirement age’ (a forced retirement age of 65) no longer exists.

You can also ask your employer if you can work more flexibly or work part-time. They have the right to reject your request.

This guide is also available in Welsh (Cymraeg).

When you can be forced to retire

In some cases an employer can force you to retire at a certain age - known as ‘compulsory retirement age’. If they do this they must give a good reason why, for example:

  • the job requires certain physical abilities (eg in the construction industry)
  • the job has an age limit set by law (eg the fire service)

If you’ve been treated unlawfully

The law protects you against discrimination, eg if you apply for a new job you don’t have to give your date of birth.

If you think an employer has treated you unlawfully you can make a claim to an employment tribunal.

Find out about discrimination and the law.

Claiming your pension while working

You can claim your pension while you’re working, as long as you’ve reached:

State Pension

If you delay (defer) taking your State Pension, you’ll get larger weekly payments when you do start taking it.

Workplace pension

If you have a workplace pension, reducing your working hours could affect how much you get - check with your employer.

Check what happens to your workplace pension if you continue working beyond the age when you can take it.

National Insurance and tax

You don’t pay National Insurance if you work past State Pension age.

You could pay tax - it depends on the size of your total income.

Find out more about tax after you reach State Pension age.

  1. Step 1 Check when you can retire

  2. and Check how much pension you could get

  3. Step 2 Increase your pension

    You might be able to increase the amount you get if you delay your pension.

    1. Find out about delaying your pension

    You might be able to pay voluntary contributions to fill in gaps in your National Insurance record (such as, from when you were not working or claiming benefits).

    1. Check if you can pay voluntary National Insurance contributions

    For advice about increasing your workplace or private pension, speak to a financial adviser.

    1. Find a financial adviser through Unbiased
  4. Step 3 Check what other financial support you could get

  5. Step 4 Decide when to retire