Widowed Parent’s Allowance (WPA) is being replaced by Bereavement Support Payment.
This guide is also available in Welsh (Cymraeg).
You can only make a new claim for WPA if your husband, wife or civil partner died before 6 April 2017 and the cause of death has just been confirmed.
All the following must also apply:
- you’re under State Pension age
- you’re entitled to Child Benefit for at least one child and your late husband, wife or civil partner was their parent
- your late husband, wife or civil partner paid National Insurance contributions, or they died as a result of an industrial accident or disease
You may also claim WPA if you were pregnant when your husband died, or you were pregnant after fertility treatment when your civil partner or wife died.
You cannot claim WPA if you:
- were divorced from your husband, wife or civil partner when they died
- remarry or are living with another person as if you’re married to them or as if you’ve formed a civil partnership
- were over State Pension age when you were widowed or became a surviving civil partner – you may be able to get extra State Pension
- are in prison