How to register

To register as a contractor, you need to follow the process for setting up as a new employer.

When done, you’ll get a letter from HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) with the information you need to start working as a Construction Industry Scheme (CIS) contractor.

If your business is based outside the UK but you do construction work here, you follow a different registration process.

Help with registering

If you need help, call the new employer helpline or the CIS helpline.

You can also sign up for webinars and emails or watch videos from HMRC about CIS.