Apply to settle in the UK if your partner dies

Overview and fees

You may be eligible to apply for settlement (indefinite leave to remain in the UK) if your partner has died. Your partner must have either:

  • been a British citizen
  • had indefinite leave to remain in the UK

Your permission to be in the UK must have been based on being their partner. A ‘partner’ is one of the following:

  • your spouse (husband or wife)
  • your civil partner
  • someone you were living with in a relationship that’s like a marriage or civil partnership

When to apply

You can apply any time after your partner’s death. You do not have to wait until your current visa expires.

You must be in the UK when you apply.


The application fee is £2,389.

You also need to pay £2,389 for each child you add to your application.

You may be able to pay an extra £610 to apply in person and get a decision within one working day.

How long you can stay

Getting indefinite leave to remain means you can continue to live and work in the UK for as long as you like. It will also mean you’re eligible:

  • to work in any job
  • to run a business
  • for public services, such as healthcare and schools
  • for public funds and pensions
  • for British citizenship, if you meet the requirements