1. Overview

If a car is written off by an insurance company a ‘VIC marker’ (Vehicle Identity Check marker) will be placed against the DVLA record.

If you buy a car that has a VIC marker you will not be able to get a V5C vehicle registration certificate (log book) until the car has passed a VIC. This will mean there will be a delay before you can tax the car. Read guidance on buying a used car.

To remove the VIC marker the car needs to pass a VIC test.

The VIC test compares the details DVLA has about the car against the car itself. It takes place at a Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) test centre.

From 26 October 2015, if an insurance company states that an accident damaged car can be repaired, it won’t need a VIC test in order for you to apply for log book (V5C).