1. Overview

The Driving Standards Agency (DSA) and Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA) have merged to form the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA).

If a car is written off by an insurance company, they will usually tell DVLA so that a ‘VIC marker’ (Vehicle Identity Check marker) can be put on the vehicle record.

If you own or buy the car, having a VIC marker means you can’t get a replacement registration certificate and you won’t be sent the V11 vehicle licence reminder you use to renew your tax disc.

To remove the VIC marker the car needs to pass a VIC test.

The VIC test compares the details DVLA has about the car against the car itself. It takes place at a Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) test centre.

Help us improve GOV.UK

Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.