Transport support services for disabled people

Skip to contents of guide

Cars, buses and coaches

Find out what you need to do if you’re driving and you have a medical condition or disability, for example learning to drive and getting insured.

You may be able to get a Blue Badge so you can park closer to where you want to go.

The Motability Scheme

The Motability Scheme can help you with leasing a car, powered wheelchair or scooter.

Buses and coaches

You can get a bus pass for free travel if you’re disabled. Passes from councils in England can be used anywhere in England:

  • at any time on a Saturday, Sunday or bank holiday
  • from 9:30am to 11pm on any other day

For travel outside of these times, contact the relevant council.

Help getting on and off

The law says bus and coach drivers must give reasonable assistance to disabled people, for example by helping them get on and off the bus or coach. This does not mean physically lifting passengers or heavy mobility equipment.

If you need help to get on and off a coach, you should ask for this when you book your ticket.

Report a problem

If you’re unhappy with the help you get, complain to the bus or coach service operator directly.

If you cannot resolve the problem with the operator, contact: