Visa to pass through the UK in transit

Direct Airside Transit visa

You might need a Direct Airside Transit visa (DATV) if you’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland and you:

  • will be changing flights in the UK on your way to another country
  • won’t go through immigration control

Check if you need a transit visa before you apply.

You don’t need one if you have a valid:

You must apply for another type of visitor visa if you’re travelling to or from Ireland, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man.


You must provide a current passport or other valid travel identification.

You may need to provide additional documents depending on your circumstances - read the guidance for a full list.

Apply outside the UK

You must apply online for a Direct Airside Transit visa:

You’ll need to have your fingerprints and photograph (known as ‘biometric information’) taken at a visa application centre as part of your application.

You may be able to get your visa faster or other services depending on what country you’re in - check with your visa application centre.

North Korea

You can’t apply online if you’re applying from North Korea.

Download the application form.

Read the instructions for applying from North Korea.