You can apply for a trainee driving instructor licence after you pass the approved driving instructor (ADI) part 2 test.
A trainee licence:
- helps you get experience instructing pupils to drive so you can prepare for the ADI part 3 test
- allows you to get paid for giving instruction
- lasts for 6 months
Who can apply
You can apply for a trainee licence if you:
- have passed your ADI part 1 test in the last 2 years
- have passed the ADI part 2 test
- have had at least 40 hours of training from a qualified ADI in providing driving instruction, recorded on the ADI 21T declaration form
- are eligible to take the ADI part 3 test
Being refused a trainee licence
You can appeal to the transport tribunal if you’re refused a trainee licence.
The rules and process for getting a trainee licence are different in Northern Ireland.