To apply for a trainee licence to give driving lessons you’ll need to:
- have passed the approved driving instructor (ADI) part 2 test
- have done at least 40 hours of training with a qualified ADI
The online service is available from 6am to 11:30pm.
Before you start
- your online user ID from the Driving and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA)
- your password
It costs £140 and you’ll need a debit or credit card to pay. It will take about 30 minutes to apply.
There’s a different process to apply for a trainee licence in Northern Ireland.
Finishing your application
To finish your application you’ll need to email the following documents to DVSA:
- your ‘application for trainee licence: declaration of manager/owner’ form
- the ‘instructor training declaration’ form to prove you’ve done 40 hours of training if it’s your first trainee licence
Send them by email to email@example.com.
You cannot currently send documents by post because of coronavirus (COVID-19).
Your user ID and password
Your user ID can be found on all letters sent to you by DVSA. It’s not the same as your ADI personal reference number.
Email DVSA if you’ve never had a user ID or have lost yours. You’ll need to include 2 of the following in your email:
- your personal reference number
- your driving licence number
- your date of birth
Rules for passwords
You can’t use any of your 5 previously used passwords.
Your password must be at least 9 characters long. It must include at least 3 of these 4 types of characters:
- uppercase characters, for example A B C
- lowercase characters, for example a b c
- numeric digits, for example 1 2 3
- special characters, for example £ % &
Help with your application
Email DVSA if you have any problems applying online.