Get a trainee driving instructor licence

3. Rules for using your trainee licence

You must:

  • be a ‘fit and proper’ person
  • get the required amount of supervision or extra training while your licence is still valid
  • make sure your advertising doesn’t make it seem like you’re a fully qualified instructor

Displaying your licence

You must display your trainee licence on the nearside edge of the front windscreen of your car while you give driving lessons.

Where you work

Your trainee licence shows the name and address of your training establishment. You can only give instruction from there, so you can’t work independently, eg by setting up your own school.

Changing your driving school

You must apply for a new trainee licence if you leave a driving school and join a new one. There’s no fee for doing this.

DVSA will send you a new licence showing the details of your new school. You should send your old licence to DVSA as soon as you get the new one.

You can still give driving lessons while you wait for your new licence.

When trainee licences can be taken away

The ADI registrar can take your trainee licence away before it runs out if:

  • you break any of the rules for having a trainee licence
  • the licence was issued by mistake or gained by fraud
  • you fail 3 attempts at the ADI part 3 test

Not using your trainee licence

You should return your trainee licence to DVSA if you aren’t using it, eg because of a long period of illness.

You won’t get a refund, but DVSA will know that you haven’t had full use of the licence. This will be a factor in deciding whether to give you another licence in future.

Lost or stolen licence

You should tell the police straight away if your licence is lost or stolen. They will give you a crime reference number.

You’ll have to pay £3 if you lose your licence or can’t give DVSA a crime reference number.

To get a replacement, you’ll need to send the following to DVSA:

  • the crime reference number
  • a recent passport-style photograph if you don’t give DVSA permission to use your photocard driving licence photo or don’t have a photocard licence
  • the fee if your licence was lost or you can’t give a crime reference number

Approved Driving Instructor Registrar
Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency
The Axis Building
112 Upper Parliament Street