Extend your visa
You can apply to extend your Tier 5 (Temporary Worker - Creative and Sporting) visa.
You should apply before your current visa expires.
You cannot extend your stay if you’ve used the Tier 5 (Temporary Worker - Creative and Sporting) concession to enter the UK.
You must continue to meet the eligibility rules.
You must be in the UK to extend your visa.
How long you can stay
You can extend your visa for whichever is the shortest of:
- up to 12 months
- the time on your certificate of sponsorship plus 14 days
- the time needed to extend your stay to the maximum of 24 months
You must stay with the same sponsor.
You can extend your visa up to 12 months, or the time on your certificate of sponsorship plus 14 days, whichever is shorter.
Check the fees for this visa.
How to extend your visa
You should read the full Tier 5 guidance before you apply.
You must apply online.
You can add dependants to your online application - including children who have turned 18 during your stay.
Providing biometric information and supporting documents
When you apply, you’ll be asked to make an appointment at a UK Visa and Citizenship Application Services (UKVCAS) service point to provide your biometric information (your fingerprints and a photo).
You’ll also need to submit your supporting documents. You can:
- upload them into the online service
- have them scanned at your UKVCAS appointment
You must not travel outside of the UK, Ireland, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man until you get a decision. Your application will be withdrawn if you do.
How long it takes
A decision will be made within 8 weeks of your application date if you use the standard service.
If you use the super priority service a decision will be made:
- by the end of the next working day after your UKVCAS appointment if your appointment is on a weekday
- 2 working days after your UKVCAS appointment if your appointment is at the weekend
Working days are Monday to Friday, not including bank holidays.
Once you’ve got your decision letter, your biometric residence permit will take up to 10 working days to arrive.
You’ll be contacted if your application is complex and will take longer, for example:
- if your supporting documents need to be verified
- if you need to attend an interview
- because of your personal circumstances (for example if you have a criminal conviction)
Once you’ve applied you can stay in the UK until you’ve been given a decision, as long as you applied before your last visa expired.