Extend your visa
You can apply to extend your Tier 5 (Temporary Worker - Creative and sporting) visa.
You should apply before your current visa expires.
You must continue to meet the eligibility rules.
You must be in the UK to extend your visa.
How long you can stay
You can extend your visa for whichever is the shortest of:
- up to 12 months
- the time on your certificate of sponsorship plus 14 days
- the time needed to extend your stay to the maximum of 24 months
You must stay with the same sponsor.
You can extend your visa up to 12 months, or the time on your certificate of sponsorship plus 14 days, whichever is shorter.
|Who you’re applying for||Extend your visa (standard service)||Extend your visa (premium service)|
|If you’re a citizen of Turkey or FYR Macedonia||£189||£799|
How to extend your visa
You should read the full Tier 5 guidance before you apply.
You can apply online.
If you want to apply in person to get a quick decision, follow the instructions in the online application or form.
You can add dependants to your online application - including children who have turned 18 during your stay.
You must also pay £19.20 to have your biometric information (fingerprints and a photo) taken. You’ll be told how to do this after you’ve applied.
You’ll get a biometric residence permit if your application to extend your visa is successful.
How long it takes
A decision will be made:
- within 8 weeks for postal and online applications
- usually on the same day if you use the premium service
You’ll be contacted if your application is complex and will take longer, eg:
- if your supporting documents need to be verified
- if you need to attend an interview
- because of your personal circumstances (for example if you have a criminal conviction)
Once you’ve applied you can stay in the UK until you’ve been given a decision, as long as you applied before your last visa expired.