You can apply for an International Sportsperson visa if you meet the eligibility requirements and your sport’s governing body endorses your application, confirming:

  • you’re an elite sportsperson or qualified coach
  • you’re internationally established
  • your employment will develop your sport in the UK at the highest level

This visa replaced the Sportsperson (T2) visa and the sporting part of the Temporary Worker - Creative and Sporting visa (T5).

Getting sponsored

Your sponsor is your employer. They’ll give you a certificate of sponsorship to prove they’re sponsoring you.

How long it takes

You can apply for a visa up to 3 months before the day you are due to start work in the UK. This date is listed on your certificate of sponsorship.

As part of your application, you’ll need to prove your identity and provide your documents.

You may need to allow extra time if you need an appointment to do this. You’ll find out if you need one when you start your application.

Getting a decision

Once you’ve applied online, proved your identity and provided your documents, you’ll usually get a decision on your visa within:

  • 3 weeks, if you’re outside the UK
  • 8 weeks, if you’re inside the UK

You may be able to pay to get a faster decision.

How much it costs

You, your partner or children will each need to:

Application fee

The fee depends on how long you want to stay.

If you’re staying up to 12 months, the fee is £298 per person.

If you’re staying for longer than 12 months, the fee depends on whether you’re:

  • applying outside the UK - £719 per person
  • applying inside the UK to extend or switch - £827 per person

How long you can stay

Your visa can last for up to 3 years. You can extend it as long as you’re still eligible.

After 5 years, you may be able to settle permanently in the UK if you’ve had at least one visa that lasted longer than 12 months.

What you can and cannot do

You can:

  • work for your sponsor in the job described in your certificate of sponsorship
  • do a second job in certain circumstances
  • play for your national team in the UK
  • work as a sports broadcaster
  • do voluntary work
  • study as long as it does not interfere with the job you’re sponsored for
  • travel abroad and return to the UK
  • bring your partner and children with you as your ‘dependants’, if they’re eligible

You cannot:

  • get public funds
  • start or run a business
  • apply for a second job until you’ve started working for your sponsor