Temporary Worker - Government Authorised Exchange visa (Tier 5)

Extend your visa

You can apply to extend your Tier 5 (Temporary worker - Government Authorised Exchange) visa.

You should apply before your current visa expires.


You might be able to extend your stay. You must still meet the eligibility requirements.

You must apply while you’re still in the UK.

How long you can stay

You can apply to stay in the UK for up to a maximum of:

  • 12 months, if you’re doing work experience
  • 24 months, if you’re doing research, training or an Overseas Government Language Programme

You can also stay for the length of time on your certificate of sponsorship plus 14 days, whichever is shorter.


Who you’re applying for Apply online or by post Apply in person
You £244 £854
If you’re a citizen of Turkey or Macedonia £189 £799
All dependants £244 each £854 each

You’ll also have to pay the healthcare surcharge as part of your application. Check how much you’ll have to pay before you apply.

How to extend your visa

You should read the full Tier 5 guidance before you apply.

You can apply online.

If you want to apply in person to get a quick decision, follow the instructions in the online application or form.


You can add dependants to your online application - including children who have turned 18 during your stay.

Biometric information

You must also provide your biometric information (fingerprints and a photo).

You can give your biometric information at:

You’ll get a biometric residence permit if your application to extend your visa is successful.

How long it takes

A decision will be made:

  • within 8 weeks for online or postal applications
  • usually on the same day if you use the premium service

You’ll be contacted if your application is complex and will take longer, for example because:

  • if your supporting documents need to be verified
  • if you need to attend an interview
  • because of your personal circumstances, for example if you have a criminal conviction

Once you’ve applied you can stay in the UK until you’ve been given a decision, as long as you applied before your last visa expired.

Changing your sponsor

You must apply again and meet all the eligibility rules if you want to change your sponsor within the same organisation or move to a new organisation.