Switch to this visa
You can apply to change (‘switch’) from another visa to a Tier 2 (Sportsperson) visa.
You should apply before your current visa expires.
You must meet the Tier 2 (Sportsperson) eligibility requirements and you must already be in the UK under any of the following visas or schemes:
- Tier 1 visa
- Tier 2 (General) visa
- Tier 2 (Minister of Religion) visa
- Tier 2 (Intra-company Transfer) visa under the Immigration Rules in place before 6 April 2010 and you’re applying to change sponsor
- Tier 4 visa - if you have an eligible qualification or you’ve done at least 12 months of a PhD
- Tier 5 (Temporary Worker - Creative and Sporting) for a job as a professional footballer
You can also switch to this visa if you meet the eligibility requirements and you’re a:
- dependent partner of someone with a Tier 4 visa
- representative of an overseas business
You must leave the UK and make your Tier 2 (Sportsperson) application from abroad if you’re not in any of these categories.
Eligible qualifications for Tier 4 visa
You must have been sponsored by a licensed tier 4 sponsor to get one of the following qualifications:
- a UK bachelors degree
- a UK masters degree
- a postgraduate certificate in education
- a professional graduate diploma of education
You must have completed at least 12 months’ study during your most recent stay in the UK. This can be through a licensed Tier 4 sponsor or another visa that allowed you to study.
How long you can stay
You can apply to extend your stay in the UK with a Tier 2 (Sportsperson) visa for up to 3 years and 14 days.
You must leave the UK after this and can only apply for this visa again if either:
- 12 months have passed and your previous certificate of sponsorship was granted for less than 3 months
- you can show you’ll be paid a gross annual salary of £159,600 or more
It costs £704 to switch to this visa.
How to switch your visa
Read the Tier 2 guidance notes before you apply.
You must also pay £19.20 to have your biometric information (fingerprints and a photo) taken. You’ll be told how to do this after you’ve applied.
You’ll get a biometric residence permit if your application to switch your visa is successful.
How long it takes
Decisions are made:
- within 8 weeks if you use the standard service
- within 10 days if you’re able to use the Tier 2 priority application service
You’ll be told if it will take longer, for example if:
- your supporting documents need to be verified
- you need to attend an interview
- your application is complex because of your personal circumstances, for example you have a criminal conviction
Once you’ve applied you can stay in the UK until you’ve been given a decision, as long as you applied before your last visa expired.