Extend your visa

You can apply to extend your stay in the UK under a Tier 2 (Sportsperson) visa.

You should include any dependants who are on your current visa on your application to extend. This includes children who have turned 18 during your stay. They’ll also need to submit a separate application.

You should apply before your current visa expires.


You must have your endorsement by your sport’s governing body renewed and a new certificate of sponsorship reference number.

How long you can stay

You can apply to extend your stay in the UK with a Tier 2 (Sportsperson) visa for up to 3 years and 14 days.

You must leave the UK after this. You can only apply for this visa again if either:

  • 12 months have passed and your previous certificate of sponsorship was granted for less than 3 months
  • you can show you’ll be paid a gross annual salary of £159,600 or more


You’ll pay:

  • £704 to apply using the standard service
  • £1,314 to apply using the premium service

You’ll also have to pay the healthcare surcharge as part of your application. Check how much you’ll have to pay before you apply.

How to extend your visa

Read the Tier 2 guidance notes before you apply.

If you’re in the UK you can:

Biometric information

You must also pay £19.20 to have your biometric information (fingerprints and a photo) taken. You’ll be told how to do this after you’ve applied.

You’ll get a biometric residence permit if your application to extend your visa is successful.

How long it takes

Decisions are usually made:

  • within 8 weeks if you use the standard service
  • within 10 days if you’re able to use the Tier 2 priority application service
  • usually on the same day if you use the premium service

You’ll be contacted if your circumstances or application are more complicated, for example if:

  • your supporting documents need to be verified
  • you need to attend an interview
  • you have a criminal conviction

Once you’ve applied you can stay in the UK until you’ve been given a decision, as long as you applied before your last visa expired.