Switch to this visa
You can apply to switch to a Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) visa if you’re already in the UK with any of these visa types:
- Tier 1
- Tier 2
- Tier 5 (Temporary worker - Government Authorised Exchange) on an exchange scheme for sponsored researchers
You can choose how long you want to apply for, up to a maximum of 5 years. You only have to pay the healthcare surcharge for the amount of time you choose to stay.
You must leave the UK and make your application from abroad if you’re in another category.
You should apply before your current visa expires.
You must first apply for endorsement in your particular field:
- as a leader (under the exceptional talent rules)
- as an emerging leader (under the exceptional promise rules)
How to get endorsed
You can apply online.
If you’re a digital technology specialist you’ll also need to apply for a Tech Nation Visa Scheme endorsement.
How long it takes
You’ll usually get a decision within 8 weeks. You may get a faster decision if you’re a digital technology specialist and one of the following applies:
- you’ll work in, or set up a company in, certain cities in northern England
- you have certain technical or business skills
- you’re in a team of 5 or more people relocating to the UK
You may also get a faster decision if you hold an approved peer-reviewed fellowship.
There’s more information about getting a faster decision in the guidance to filling in the form.
How to switch
You can apply to switch to the Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) visa when you’ve received your letter of endorsement.
Read the full guidance before you apply.
You can apply online to switch to this visa.
Get a same day decision
You can get a same day decision on your application at a premium service centre. You can:
- book an appointment as part of your online application
- book an appointment and take your form in person
You must apply within 3 months of receiving your letter of endorsement from the Home Office.
You must also provide your biometric information (fingerprints and a photo).
How you provide biometrics depends on whether you’re applying:
- online or by post - pay £19.20 to have your fingerprints and photo taken at a Post Office branch that offers ‘Home Office biometric enrolment’
- in person - your fingerprints and photo will be taken during your appointment at a premium service centre
You’ll get a biometric residence permit if your application to switch your visa is successful.
How much you pay depends on your situation, what you’re applying for and how you apply.
|Who you’re applying for||Stage 1 - apply to get endorsed||Stage 2 (online or by post) - apply to switch||Stage 2 (in person) - apply to switch|
|You if you’re from Turkey or Macedonia||£292||£238||£828|
How long it takes
You should get your visa:
- within 8 weeks if you apply online or by post
- usually on the same day if you use the premium service
You’ll be contacted if your application is complex and will take longer, for example:
- if your supporting documents need to be verified
- if you need to attend an interview
- because of your personal circumstances - such as you have a criminal conviction
Once you’ve applied you can stay in the UK until you’ve been given a decision, as long as you applied before your last visa expired.