Taking a vehicle out of the UK

Newly bought vehicles

If you buy a brand new vehicle to take out of the UK (also known as supply of a ‘New Means of Transport’) you do not have to pay UK VAT or vehicle taxes such as the registration fee.

Within the EU

If you’re buying the new vehicle to take elsewhere in the EU you will not have to pay VAT if you:

  • take it out of the UK within 2 months
  • do not drive the vehicle in the UK unless you register and tax it

Your supplier will get you to fill in form VAT 411.

You’ll have to declare your vehicle and pay VAT in the other country when you get there.

Exports outside the EU

You may be able to use the Personal Export Scheme to export a new or used vehicle outside the EU.

This means that when you buy a new vehicle and export under the scheme, you do not pay UK VAT. But you still have to pay vehicle taxes and the registration fee.

Who can use this scheme

You can use the scheme if you’re:

  • from outside the EU
  • an EU resident who’s leaving the EU for at least 6 months

You usually have to be personally driving your vehicle to a non-EU country.

What you need to do

Fill in form VAT 410 (your supplier will give you a copy) and give it to your supplier.

You can drive the vehicle in the UK for up to 6 months after the delivery date (or 12 months for non-EU residents) - it must then be exported.

The date for export of the vehicle is shown on the VX302 (for new cars) or the VAT 410 (for used cars).

After export send the DVLA the:

  • VX302 - new vehicles
  • V5C - second-hand vehicles

If you do not export the vehicle on time you’ll have to pay the UK VAT.

  1. Step 1 Check where you can use your licence

    1. Check the rules for using your driving licence abroad

    You may need an international driving permit (IDP) if you’re going to drive outside the EU.

    1. Check if you need an IDP on the AA website
  2. Step 2 Apply for an international driving permit (IDP)

    If you need an IDP you can:

    You may be able to pay more to get your IDP faster.

  3. Step 3 Get insurance

    1. Check if your vehicle insurance covers you for the countries you're driving through

    Check this with your car hire company if you’re hiring a vehicle.

  4. Step 4 Prepare the documents you need to take with you

    1. Check what documents you need to take a vehicle out of the UK

    If you're hiring a car you may need to share your driving licence information with the hire company.

    1. Get a 'check code' to share your driving licence information

    If you got your licence in Northern Ireland, you’ll need to show the rental company your paper counterpart instead.

  5. Step 5 Check the rules for the country you're travelling to

    The rules for driving may be different in the country you're going to. For example, drink-driving rules might be different or you might need to carry extra equipment in your car.

    1. Check if you need to display a country sticker on your vehicle
    2. Check the rules for the European country you're travelling to on the AA website
    3. Check the travel advice for countries outside Europe

    When you have your documents, insurance and any extra equipment you need you can drive abroad.