Staying in touch with someone in prison

6. Get help with travel costs to prison

You may get help with the cost of visiting a close relative or partner in prison if you’re aged over 18.

You may be eligible if you’re claiming:

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Employment and Support Allowance
  • Universal Credit
  • Tax credits
  • Pension Credit

You need to complete the application and send it to the address on the form to get help with travel costs. There are guidance notes for applying and also a confirmation of visit form which you should hand to a member of the prison visits staff.

You can also find out more by contacting the prison or the Assisted Prison Visits Unit.

Assisted Prison Visits Unit
Telephone: 0300 063 2100
Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm
Find out about call charges

Or you can write to the Assisted Prison Visits Unit:

Assisted Prison Visits Unit
PO Box 2152
B15 1SD