1. Arriving at prison
When someone arrives at prison they have at least one interview and assessment so they:
- understand prison rules and procedures
- know what their rights are
- are told of courses available
- get the right healthcare
The prisoner gets a prison number and their property is recorded and put somewhere safe until they’re released.
Prisoners are given a security category based on:
- how likely they are to try to escape
- their risk of causing harm to other prisoners and prison staff
A prisoner may be transferred to another prison with a different security category at any time.