Arriving at prison
When someone arrives at prison they have at least one interview and assessment with a qualified professional so they:
- know what their rights are
- get help with their physical and mental health, for example with sexual health or drug and alcohol problems
- are told what courses they can do in prison
- understand prison rules and procedures
The prisoner gets a prisoner number and their property is recorded and put somewhere safe until they’re released.
Prisoners are given a security category based on:
- how likely they are to try to escape
- their risk of causing harm to other prisoners and prison staff
A prisoner may be transferred to another prison with a different security category at any time.