When you need to make a SORN

Exceptions for motor traders

You don’t need to make a SORN on a vehicle if you’re a motor trader or vehicle tester and all the following apply:

  • it’s only temporarily in your possession (until you sell it)
  • it’s being kept at your business premises
  • the registered keeper has notified DVLA that the vehicle has been sold or transferred to you

You count as a motor trader if you’re a:

  • motor dealer
  • motor auctioneer
  • vehicle dismantler
  • vehicle insurer looking after a vehicle while a claim is being settled
  • finance company licensed to temporarily hold a vehicle following an order for repossession