Sign in to your HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) online account to submit your VAT Return. You can also view your VAT account and access other VAT online services.
You cannot use your online account to send your VAT Return if you’ve signed up for ‘Making Tax Digital’ for VAT. Use accounting software that’s compatible with Making Tax Digital instead.
Before you start
To use this service you need:
- a VAT number
- a Government Gateway user ID and password
You get these when you register for VAT.
This guide is also available in Welsh (Cymraeg).
Using your account
You can use your account to:
- set up a Direct Debit to pay VAT
- view your payments and outstanding liabilities
- report changes to your business
- cancel your VAT registration
Other VAT services
You can also log in to your HMRC online account to:
- submit an EC Sales List (ESL)
- submit a Reverse Charge Sales List (RCSL)
- apply for EU VAT refunds
- tell HMRC you’ve brought a vehicle into the UK using the Notification of Vehicle Arrivals (NOVA) service
- use the VAT MOSS service, if you supply digital services to consumers in the EU
Online services may be slow during busy times. Check if there are any problems with this service.