You must send the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) information about your business property if they’ve asked you to. You need to do this even if you no longer own or rent the property.

The information you provide will be used by the local authority to help calculate business rates in your area.

You could be taken to court if you submit false information.

You’ll need:

  • the reference number from the letter the VOA sent to you
  • your lease or agreement, including the current rent you pay or any tenants’ details if you’re the owner
  • information about any recent changes to your rent or any rent-free periods
  • details of any sub-lettings
  • information about any changes you’ve made to the property, including costs

Start now


This service is also available in Welsh (Cymraeg).

You do not have to complete the form in one go. You can save what you’ve done and return to finish it later on.

If you need help

Contact the VOA team for help with using the service.

You can find their contact details on the letter sent by the VOA.

You can send the business property details by post if the business is a:

  • caravan site
  • gas network
  • hotel, guest house or holiday home
  • livestock market
  • marina
  • market place
  • mineral dealer
  • motorway service station
  • petrol station
  • pipeline
  • pub, bar or restaurant that sells alcohol
  • sports ground or animal race course
  • stately home
  • telecom network, mast or station
  • timeshare complex