Providing rental information for specific business types

The Valuation Office Agency (VOA) asks for rental and lease information to assess the rateable value of non-domestic properties.

The form you need to complete depends on the type of business you have. You can find all of the VOA’s forms on this page.

The information we ask for is used to set rateable values for all non-domestic properties.

These valuations are then used by your local council to calculate business rates.

Rent, lease or ownership details form

Most businesses will need to complete the rent, lease or ownership details form.

You should use this form if your business type is anything other than the specific businesses listed below.

You only need to share your details with us if we have asked you to. You need to do this even if you no longer own or rent the property. 

If you’re unsure which form to complete, please contact the VOA.

To help you complete your form, you may want to watch our YouTube video.

How to complete your rent, lease or ownership details form.

If you own or occupy more than 20 properties

You can submit your lease or ownership details in bulk using the Valuation Office Rating Contact (VORC) scheme.

This scheme is free and could save you time as it replaces the need to complete separate online forms.

If you want to learn more about the VORC scheme, please contact

Business-specific information forms

You must send your business property details by post, or complete an interactive online form and send by email, if we have asked you to. Businesses who must return their information in this way include:

  • caravan sites
  • gas networks
  • hotels, guest houses or holiday homes
  • livestock markets
  • marinas
  • market places
  • mineral dealers
  • motorway service stations
  • petrol stations
  • pipelines
  • pubs, bars or restaurants that sell alcohol
  • sports grounds or animal race courses
  • stately homes
  • telecom networks, masts or stations
  • timeshare complexes
Published 7 November 2013
Last updated 8 January 2024 + show all updates
  1. The guidance has been updated.

  2. Self-catering holiday homes form of return (applies to England) added.

  3. VO 6057, VO 6066 and VO 6067 has been added to this collection.

  4. 'VO 6038 request for rental information: ports' and 'VO 6076 request for rental information: Renewable Energy' has been added to this collection.

  5. Reviewed and rewritten as part of the release of the Rent and Lease Details online form.

  6. 'VO6004 Request for rent and lease details - Scheduled rent review' has been added to this collection.

  7. Link to Rent and Lease Details request form updated to point to the new application. References to the old Request for Rental Information online service also updated.

  8. A clearer explanation of the forms available on this page.

  9. First published.