Some properties are eligible for discounts from the local council on their business rates. This is called ‘business rates relief’.
You have to contact your local council to see if you’re eligible and apply for:
- small business rate relief
- rural rate relief
- charitable rate relief
- enterprise zone relief
- hardship relief
- retail, hospitality and leisure relief
- local newspaper relief
- COVID-19 additional relief fund
Your council automatically applies:
- exempted buildings and empty buildings relief
- transitional relief if your rates change by more than a certain amount at revaluation
Contact your local council if you’re not getting a relief you think you’re entitled to.
If your premises are affected by local disruption
You may get a temporary reduction in your business rates if your premises are affected by severe local disruption (like flooding, building or roadworks).
You can report that something external to your premises in England has affected its value using your business rates valuation account.
There’s a different way to report that something external to your premises in Wales has affected its value.