Return home if you're in the UK illegally or have claimed asylum

3. Apply for 'assisted return'

If you’re eligible, you can apply for:

  • up to £2,000 which you can use to find somewhere to live, find a job or start a business in your home country
  • help applying for your travel documents
  • help booking your flight

How to apply

Download and fill in the assisted return application form. Send it to the Home Office - the address is on the form.

You can be forced to return to your home country if you withdraw your application or don’t follow the application process.

Contact the voluntary returns service if you need help with your application.

Voluntary returns service
Telephone: 0300 004 0202
Monday to Friday, 9am to 5:30pm
Find out about call charges

Voluntary returns service
18th Floor
Lunar House
40 Wellesley Road

What happens next

The Home Office will contact you within 14 days to let you know they’ve received your application.

You might need to provide further information to support your application. Your application can be cancelled if you don’t do this.

You must leave the UK within 3 months of the date your application is approved.

If you’ve applied for asylum

You must cancel your application by signing a ‘declaration of withdrawal’ when you leave the UK.