Examples of abuse include:
- not caring for someone properly (neglect)
- pressuring someone to give away money or property
- psychological (eg threats, harassment or forcing someone to live somewhere they don’t want to)
- physical (eg violence)
Call 999 if you are reporting a crime that is in progress or if someone is in immediate danger.
Contact the local police if you think a crime has been committed or contact the local council if you think someone is at risk or is being abused.
Care homes and home carers
Contact the local council if you’re concerned about:
- someone not being treated properly in a care home
- someone being mistreated by a carer
NHS hospital or clinic care
Contact the manager of the hospital or clinic if you’re worried about someone.
Help and advice
If you want to discuss your concerns and get some advice, contact Action on Elder Abuse.