Examples of abuse include:

  • not caring for someone properly (neglect)
  • pressuring someone to give away money or property
  • psychological (eg threats, harassment or forcing someone to live somewhere they don’t want to)
  • physical (eg violence)
  • sexual

Reporting abuse

Call 999 if you are reporting a crime that is in progress or if someone is in immediate danger.

Contact the local police if you think a crime has been committed or contact the local council if you think someone is at risk or is being abused.

Care homes and home carers

Contact the local council if you’re concerned about:

  • someone not being treated properly in a care home
  • someone being mistreated by a carer

NHS hospital or clinic care

Contact the manager of the hospital or clinic if you’re worried about someone.

Help and advice

If you want to discuss your concerns and get some advice, contact Action on Elder Abuse.

Action on Elder Abuse helpline
Telephone: 0808 808 8141
Find out about call charges

Concerns about someone’s ability to make important decisions

You may know someone who is having difficulty making decisions for themselves about:

  • their finances or property
  • their personal health and welfare

You can find out if someone has a person to help make these decisions.

The Court of Protection can make decisions for people who don’t have somebody to help them.

If you’re concerned about what someone’s deputy or attorney is doing, contact the Office of the Public Guardian helpline.

Office of the Public Guardian helpline
Telephone: 0115 934 2777
Find out about call charges

Help us improve GOV.UK

Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.