If you’re claiming tax credits, you’ll be sent a renewal pack. Once you’ve got this, you can renew your tax credits online.

Call the Tax Credit Helpline if you haven’t received your renewal pack by 30 June.

If you first claimed tax credits after 6 April 2015, you won’t get a renewal pack before next April.

Renewal deadline

The deadline is 31 July unless your renewal pack gives you a different deadline. Your renewal pack will have a red line across the first page if you need to send a reply.

Your tax credits will stop if you miss the deadline. You’ll be sent a statement and have to pay back the tax credits you’ve been given since 6 April.

Your tax credits will start again if you send your renewal within 30 days of getting the statement. You’ll be sent any payments you’ve missed since your claim ended.

You’ll usually need to make a new claim if you send your renewal after 30 days.

Automatic renewal

Your tax credits will be renewed automatically if your form has the code ‘TC 603 R’. Check the form carefully to make sure your details are correct.

You must report any mistakes on your form or changes in your circumstances. Your tax credits could stop or you could be fined if you don’t.

You can use the online service to do this.

After you’ve renewed

Within 8 weeks of receiving your renewal, the Tax Credit Office will send you a letter telling you how much you’ll get.