If you’re claiming tax credits, you’ll be sent a renewal pack. It will tell you how to renew your tax credits.
You must renew your tax credits by 31 July 2019 if your renewal pack has a red line across the first page and it says ‘reply now’.
If you miss the deadline your tax credits payments will stop. You’ll be sent a statement and will have to pay back the tax credits you’ve been given since 6 April 2019.
From 6 April, you’ll get estimated (‘provisional’) payments from HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) until you renew. Your payments may have changed based on information from your employer or pension provider.
When you do not need to renew
If your renewal pack says ‘check now’, check your details to make sure they’re correct.
You do not need to do anything if your details are correct. Your tax credits will be automatically renewed.
You must tell HMRC by 31 July 2019 if your circumstances have changed or anything in your pack is incorrect. Your tax credits could stop or you may have to pay a penalty if you do not.
You will not get a renewal pack until April 2020 if you first claimed tax credits after 6 April 2019.
How to renew
If you need to renew, you can either do it:
HMRC will tell you how much you’ll get within 8 weeks of receiving your renewal.
What you need
- your renewal pack - if you do not get your renewal pack by 21 June 2019, contact HMRC
- your National Insurance number
- details about any changes to your circumstances
- you and your partner’s total income for the last tax year (6 April 2018 to 5 April 2019)
- the 15-digit renewals reference number on your renewal pack - if you’re renewing by phone