You usually need to renew your tax credits once a year.
You can’t renew your tax credits until you get your renewal pack.
Renewal packs are sent between April and June. If you claimed tax credits after 6 April, your renewal pack is usually sent the following year.
Contact the Tax Credit Office if you don’t get your renewal pack.
Your pack tells you how to renew your tax credits - by post, phone or online.
Renew by post
Send your form to:
HM Revenue and Customs Tax Credits
Renew by phone
Call the Tax Credit Helpline.
Tax Credit Helpline
Telephone: 0345 300 3900
Textphone: 0345 300 3909
Outside the UK: +44 2890 538 192
Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm
Saturday, 8am to 4pm
Find out about call charges
You can renew your tax credits online if:
- you’ve received a renewal pack with an annual declaration
- you have no changes to report
What you need
- your renewal pack
- your National Insurance number
- details about any changes to your circumstances
- your total income (including your partner’s) for the last tax year
- telephone renewals only - your Tax Credit Helpline password (if you have one)
- online renewals only - the 15 digit number on the bottom right of your annual declaration
After you’ve renewed
The Tax Credit Office will send you an award notice within 8 weeks of receiving your renewal, telling you how much you’ll get.
The deadline is usually 31 July but your renewal pack will confirm the deadline.
If you miss the deadline your tax credits payments will stop and you’ll be sent a summary. Your tax credits claim will end 30 days after you’re sent the summary if you don’t send your renewal.
If you get a letter saying your tax credits will be renewed automatically you don’t need to do anything. You won’t get a new award notice.