Born before 1 July 2006 to a British father

You can register as a British citizen if you:

  • were born before 1 July 2006
  • would have become a British citizen automatically if your parents had been married
  • are of ‘good character’ - see the guidance to form UKF for details

Your children won’t automatically become British if born outside the UK.

You may be able to apply for naturalisation instead if you’re already resident in the UK.

How to apply

You need to:

Send the completed application form and payslip to the correct address for the country you’re in.

After you apply

You’ll also need to provide biometric information (fingerprints and a photo). You’ll be sent a letter explaining how. It costs £19.20.