Born before 1983 to a British mother

You can register as a British citizen if you fulfil all of the criteria:

  • you would have automatically become a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies by descent if women had been able to pass this citizenship on to their children in the same way as men at the time of your birth
  • you would have had the right of abode in the UK and have become a British citizen on 1 January 1983 if you had become a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies
  • you’re of ‘good character’ - see the guidance to form UKM for details

Your children won’t automatically become British if born outside the UK.

You may be able to apply for naturalisation instead if you’re already resident in the UK.

How to apply

You need to:

Send the completed application form and payslip to the correct address for the country you’re in.

After you apply

You’ll also need to provide biometric information (fingerprints and a photo). You’ll be sent a letter explaining how. It costs £19.20.