3. Assigning a personalised number to a vehicle

You need to apply to DVLA to assign your personalised registration number to a vehicle. It can only be used on a vehicle that’s registered (or about to be registered), taxed and used in the UK.

How to assign your personalised number to a vehicle

Send your application to DVLA.

SA99 1DS

You need:

  • the V750 certificate of entitlement or V778 retention document signed by the person named at the top of the certificate
  • the registration certificate (V5C) or the new keeper supplement with a completed V62 ‘application for a vehicle registration certificate V5C’ form
  • an MOT test certificate for cars and motorcycles over 3 years old (1 year for heavy goods vehicles)

Pre-1960 vehicles need a valid MOT to assign a registration number.

You must complete a V62 form and return it to DVLA Swansea before applying if the new keeper supplement has been stamped by DVLA.

Conditions for assigning a personalised registration number

You can’t:

  • put a personalised registration number onto a vehicle displaying a ‘Q’ number plate
  • make the vehicle look newer than it actually is

Adding a nominee or taxing your vehicle when you assign the number

You can add a nominee when assigning the registration number by:

  • completing section 2 of the V750 or V778
  • enclosing the £25 nominee fee by cheque or postal order payable to DVLA (do not send cash)

You can tax the vehicle at the same time. You need:

What happens next

Once DVLA gets your application they may need to inspect the vehicle - they’ll contact you if they need to.

DVLA should approve your application within 2 weeks and send you:

  • a letter showing the new registration number
  • a V948 authorisation letter that you’ll need to get your number plate made up
  • a replacement MOT test certificate for cars and motorcycles over 3 years old (1 year for heavy goods vehicles)
  • a new V5C registration certificate - this can take 4 to 6 weeks to arrive

Your application may take longer if DVLA needs to inspect your vehicle.

You need to tell your insurance company your new registration number.

More information

Contact DVLA for more information about assigning a personalised registration number.

DVLA customer enquiries
Online service
Telephone: 0300 790 6802
Textphone: 0300 123 1279
Find out about call charges