Options if you're owed money

Use a mediation service, go to court, send a statutory demand or make someone bankrupt if a person or business owes you money.


Mediation is when an impartial person - trained in dealing with difficult discussions between 2 opposing sides - acts like a referee in a dispute.

There can be a fee for mediation but it is cheaper than hiring a solicitor and taking court action. The fee is based on how much is owed.

You can find a mediation service to start the process. Use the Scottish Mediation Network if you’re in Scotland.

Court action

You can make a court claim for your money if mediation does not work.

You can make a claim online if the money owed is less than £100,000 and owed by no more than 2 people or 2 organisations.

The court can order the money to be paid.

Make an official demand for money you’re owed

You can use a statutory demand to ask for money you’re owed from a person or business.

If they ignore the statutory demand or cannot repay the money, you can apply to a court to:

However, the costs are high and you may not get any of your money back. Get legal advice before doing this if you’re unsure.

Get money you’re owed from a bankrupt person or a company that’s being liquidated

You must register your claim to money from a bankrupt person or a company so that if there’s any money available to pay debts, you can get a share.