National Insurance classes

The class you pay depends on your employment status and how much you earn, and whether you have any gaps in your National Insurance record.

National Insurance class Who pays
Class 1 Employees earning more than £166 a week and under State Pension age - they’re automatically deducted by your employer
Class 1A or 1B Employers pay these directly on their employee’s expenses or benefits
Class 2 Self-employed people - you do not have to pay if you earn less than £6,365 a year (but you can choose to pay voluntary contributions)
Class 3 Voluntary contributions - you can pay them to fill or avoid gaps in your National Insurance record
Class 4 Self-employed people earning profits over £8,632 a year

See the current rates for Class 1, 2 and 4 contributions.