Help if you're not working

Your benefits could be affected if there are gaps in your National Insurance record. National Insurance credits can help to fill gaps in your record and protect your benefits.

You can get credits if you cannot pay National Insurance contributions, for example, if:

  • you’re unable to work due to illness
  • you’re caring for someone

If you’re not working or getting credits you can also top up your National Insurance with voluntary contributions.