Mobility scooters and powered wheelchairs: the rules

Vehicle tax, registration and insurance

You do not have to pay vehicle tax for any mobility scooter or powered wheelchair, but you still need to register class 3 invalid carriages.

To register a class 3 invalid carriage, complete:

Send the completed form to:

DVLA Swansea
SA99 1BE

You cannot license your class 3 invalid carriage online or at a Post Office.

Include evidence of the vehicle’s age (if available).


You do not need insurance for a mobility scooter or powered wheelchair, although it’s recommended.